Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:14:42 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        GDB <g-d-b@freegates.be>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP / chat script problems: PART II: A NEW BEGINNING

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 04:36:03PM +0200, GDB wrote:
> Here's my ppp.conf script:
>
> default:
>     set device /dev/cuaa3
>     set speed 115200
>     set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT \
>                 OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT \"\""
> provider
>     set phone "<my provider>"
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I take it that you really have a number here?

>     set login

Remove/comment out this, unless your ISP requires a Unix-style
login/password login (probably not).

>     set authname xxxxxxx
>     set authkey xxxxxxxx
>     set timeout 120
>     set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 # I think I have
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

0.0.0.0

> to change the first 2 by my ISP DNSs,

this line is nothing to do with DNS, it's for using dynamic IP
addresses. If your ISP gives you a static IP this line is totally
wrong anyway.

> #   right?
>     add default HISADDR

Redundant, but harmless.

>     enable dns
>
> Then I do:
> #ppp<enter>
> dial provider<enter>
> <modem dials number, I can hear it>
> warning: chat script failed

How long after the dialling finishes before this warning appears?

> >quit<enter>
> #
>
> That's all I did. I tried to connect to my ISP manually, but I have
> difficulties typing in the username and password. After typing in "term" in
> ppp, the last character I typed does not appear on the screen. after typing
> in ATDT<number>, the following text appears when I hit <enter> once more:
> CONNECT 1520    (NOT 15200, really 1520) plus some other text, date and
> time, when I type <enter> once again:

Uh. this sounds familiar, it's to do with local echoing (if we really
need it I'll have to look it up). You shouldn't need to do this
anyway, your ISP almost certainly uses PAP or CHAP so once we've got
ppp.conf sorted this becomes academic.

Try the above mods and if you still have problems add:

 set log chat command connect hdlc ipcp lcp phase tcp/ip tun

to ppp.conf and see what appears in /var/log/ppp.log.

BTW, I've added -questions back to the Cc:. You should always do this,
not because I don't want to help, but because if I can't sort it out
everyone else will see and there's a good chance someone else will
jump in and help out.