Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 01:36:20 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The road ahead?
References:  <20020516004909.A9808@daemon.tisys.org> <20020516151801.A47974@energyhq.homeip.net> <20020516172853.A7750@daemon.tisys.org> <3CE40759.7C584101@mindspring.com> <20020516220616.A51305@energyhq.homeip.net> <3CE43D08.1FDBF0A3@mindspring.com> <20020517163624.GB9697@hades.hell.gr> <3CE58F73.1A7F50AF@mindspring.com> <p05111717b90b4c01f392@[10.9.8.215]> <15589.63655.94078.482179@guru.mired.org>

Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <p05111717b90b4c01f392@[10.9.8.215]>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> typed:
> > At 4:17 PM -0700 2002/05/17, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >  A much better paradigm would have been a single round green
> > >  button on the front, wich connected your small office to the
> > >  Internet.
> >       Naw, you want something that just automatically works, and
> > doesn't require any buttons.
>
> I almost replied to Terry pointing out that the Linksys cable/dsl
> router has no buttons. You shut off all your gear, plug the modem into
> the WAN side, plug your computers into the LAN side, and then turn on
> the modem, router and systems in order. If you've got typical Windows
> installs, you're done.

You just turn it on?

With a button?

8-) 8-).

> If you need something that requires a static IP address - like an NFS
> server - you have to configure it. If your systems were doing dialup
> internet, you'll have to run the internet wizard on them. If you want
> to run web servers and the like, you have to configure it yet more.

The idea that there is a requirement for static addresses for servers
is a common misconception.  So is the idea that your gateway has to
be at a specific location, etc..

If you ever have an opportunity to do so, set up "Microsoft Internet
Connection Sharing" on a PC, and then sniff the wire with a FreeBSD
box as you boot another Windows box onto the internal side of the
network.

The same is true for web servers, etc..

Pretty much, it can all be done without even having a DHCP server.

> But those options are for geeks. For a small all-MS shop that
> outsources it's servers, it's a near-perfect solution - unless you
> want to run netmeeting including someone not on the LAN. I'm waiting
> for them to announce a firmware upgrade running an OH323 gatekeeper,
> but expect it to be a new product.

That's actually a protocol design bug.  Protocols that require
application layer proxies have an intrinsically broken design
(e.g. RealPlayer).  These broken designs are usually intentional,
in order to control the market.  For example, you can only buy a
caching server for Real from Real: The RTSP is documented well
enough, and so is their firewall proxy code, but the QOS management
protocol is tunneled, and is undocumented.  It's required if you
intend to build a server (which is where they make their money,
when they aren't making it from encoding or transcoding), and it's
required for a proxy, particularly one that fans out connections,
and serves more of them than the server on the back end can.  As
far as I'm aware, only Network Appliance has spent the effort and
money to reverse engineer the QOS protocol sufficiently to offer
real products.

-- Terry