Date:      Thu, 03 Sep 1998 20:04:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev-freebsd@michvhf.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   msgrcv, msgsnd, msgctl

Is/has anyone done anything with message queues?  I'm porting an in house
application - nothing special, listen to a port for info on turning on a
fan, passing a message via msgsnd to the app that handles all requests and
updating a memory map so that another app can update a PLC to change the
register settings in our HVAC system.  All three routines are rather small
and appear to be functioning with the exception of the msg* functions.

After trying a few different things, I tried to kill the queue with msgctl
and got a surprise.  Msgsnd appears to send the message and reports no
problems; msgrcv hangs (unless in NOWAIT mode) waiting for a message that
never comes no matter how many times it was sent; and msgctl returns the
error code ENOENT which according to the man page and source code should
not be possible.

This is with 2.2.6-RELEASE.  Does anyone have any idea what could be going
on?  Yes I have 'options SYSVMSG' in the kernel.

And since this is technical, I figure it belongs on this list!

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow