Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:44:21 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        FreeBSD-arch <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

John Polstra wrote:
> In article <79909.1012481992@axl.seasidesoftware.co.za>,
> Sheldon Hearn  <sheldonh@starjuice.net> wrote:
> >
> > I didn't realize that cvsup mirrors might offer me a src/bin that's
> > newer than the src/sbin that it offers me (for example).
>
> Yes, that's what would happen, except most likely in reverse.  CVSup
> processes the tree in alphabetical order.
>
> But I object to this idea for a different reason.  Every day a large
> number of commits are made to the src tree.  You are proposing that
> every one of those commits would add a delta to the serial number
> file.  That file would soon have tens of thousands of deltas.  That
> makes it quite inefficient for both cvs and CVSup.  This idea simply
> doesn't scale to the long-term.

I am in complete agreement.  We aren't going to get a meaningful
result with the system as proposed.  CVS simply doesn't support atomic
changes.  cvsup doesn't particularly help either since it browses the
cvs tree at leisure and does no locking etc.

While it would be damn nice to have (nobody is denying that), we just simply
do not have the means to do it in a reliable meaningful way.

If you want atomic change numbers then we have to look elsewhere at other
SCM's and distribution mechanisms.  The atomic change part is well solved
by perforce (www.perforce.com), maybe subversion one day
(subversion.tigris.org), and probably others.  But these dont solve the
distribution problem.

Cheers,
-Peter