Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 23:00:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Weber-Fahr <listmail@helena.callcenter.systemhaus.net>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's wrong with a1 and irq 2 ?

Hello,

following up my own message:

I tried it with a changed IRQ. Replaced the 8bit SCSI with an equally
bad 16bit version, thus freeing IRQ5, which is now used by the A1.

> The bad news is, it indeed seems to compete with the vga card for the
> interrupt. It seems to win, though, most of the time - the console
> appears sluggish with lag times up to a second (while telnet
> access works just fine).

This effect is still there. I would conclude that it is not related
to the use of IRQ 2/9 and probably caused by the high interrupt load.
Is Syscons particularily affected by high interrupt load ?
Are other people also experiencing this effect ? I seem to remember
from a web page that the i4l folks also had problems with too many
interrupts from an A1.

> Another observation I made is that the card seems to put a heavy interrupt
> load on the machine. Top gives an interrupt load of around 10% while the
> card is under load, with occasional (rare) peaks up to 50 %. This is
> a 486/50 (ISA only) System.

As said above, this problem remains unchanged, which means that ...

> Is this a general problem with this card or is the IRQ 2 issue involved
> here ?

... this question can be answered with the claim that irq 2
is not involved.

I think from this one could conclude that

- IRQ2/9 should be supported by the avm driver, maybe there should be
  a dire warning about obscure VGA cards somewhere in the docs
- There is a problem in the AVM driver with a too high interrupt load.

I don't think this interrupt stuff is 'normal'. This is eating 10% of the
computing power of a 486/50 with only one B channel used.
On the other hand I can put the same card into a lousy 386sx/16 and
blast 2 simultaneous IDTrans sesssions with full speed over both B
channels under good plain old DOS. (I've done that!). There
must be some problem in the driver somewhere, which AVM's own
DOS CAPI driver doesn't have.

> P.S. Should I try to submit a formal 'patch' for the avm driver
>      to accept IRQ2 (it's utterly trivial)   ?

Regards

Christoph Weber-Fahr