Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:44:16 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Nick Barkas <snb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: sysinstall, GJOURNAL and ZFS

>> noticeably higher chance of leaving you with an unbootable system than
>> if you were using Linux with ext3/ext4 or Windows with NTFS.
>
> Can you back this up? I cannot recall having ever rendered a FreeBSD
> system unbootable due to UFS/UFS2 problems after a power failure or

I can confirm the opposite. I did really bad things with disk drives,
including accidentally disconnecting SATA cable on working system that was
doing lots of filesystem writes. NOTHING wrong happened.

I always use softupdates, including / partition (which usually is my only
partition anyway :)

Once i have failed hardware which sometimes was writting rubbish to disk
instead of proper data. after discovering this there was a bit mess but
ONLY in files and directories i was writing to!!! fsck with manual
attention repaired it all without problems. After fixing hardware problems
and few files i used it without change.

I can't count how many times i ended with completely unreadable ext2, ext3
and reiserfs filesystem, the last being really kind of destruction ;)