Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 21:05:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems with 3COM 3C509

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Alson van der Meulen wrote:

> > I have problems installing 4.3-* on a machine with a 3COM 3C509 card
> > (built in on ISA). After some trials and errors I've come to the
> > conclusion that I need to give the port address, but the device is not
> > available to setting at boot time (of installation).
> the GENERIC kernel used for installation should have ep* support i
> think...
(...)
> try boot -c, then you should be able to modify the iobase, irq and
> stuff of the ep0 device

The GENERIC kernel has support for ep, but it is strangely enough not
availble for setting. It is just not there. I do not understand why.

When I tried 3.5.1 it was available for adjustment, and then it work fine
when I set it to IRQ 10 and port 0x250. 4.3 thought it was 5 and 0x210
respectively

> there's a 3com config program for dos available on the 3com site, so
> you can change the eeprom settings using a dos boot floppy. if you set
> the iobase to 0x200 and the irq to 10 here, the kernel should
> autodetect it since these are the defauts

The 3COM program solved my problem. After turning of "plugg and play" and
setting what 4.3 expected (0x210 and 5, respectively) it works as it
should.

Thanks for help.

Mats