Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:04:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@stud.uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.x refuses to use DMA on WDC31200F?

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Doug White wrote:
>
> > Try booting -v and see if the system is intentionally demoting your
> > controller. Not all controllers that claim DMA support actually work with
> > it. Also note there are 2 "DMA" modes ... UltraDMA ("UDMA") and "WDMA".
>
> Attaching a WDC420400D to the board, I get UDMA/33, it's working. I don't
> expect UDMA from my WDC31200F (that drives does at best around 3 MB/s even in
> PIO3), but DMA1 mode rather than PIO3 would be nice IMHO.
>
> /kernel: atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xe000-0xe00f at device 7.1 on pci0

Erm, this a A rev, not a B rev.  The A rev does not have UDMA support in
kernel at this time.  You can try adding the IDs/revs to
src/sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c but you're responsible for what happens
afterward. :)

> /kernel: ata0-master: success setting PIO3 on generic chip

This is the hint that there's no specific support.

> /netbsd: pciide0 at pci0 dev 7 function 1: VIA Tech VT82C586A IDE Controller (rev. 0x06)

Hm, netbsd thinks it's an A too.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org