Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:48:35 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Brad Guillory <round@baileylink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some observations on stream.c and streamnt.c

>>     Note that a T3 is only 45 MBits.  Attacks on BEST that only went through
>>     a single incoming T3 never had much of an effect, it was only those
>>     attacks that came over multiple T3's (generally ping-broadcast attacks)
>>     that we worried about.
>>
>I don't understand how a "script kiddie" is going to garner the bandwidth
>to run an attack into the multi-megabit range.

By rooting a handful of linux systems at various Universities that
have T3 connections.  Happens all the time, unfortunately.  :-(
Things have slowed down a bit lately but for a while we[1] were being
port scanned almost daily from one corner of the net or another.
Frequently the ultimate determination is the scan was coming from a
hacked linux system.  Classes start again next week.

-Mitch

[1] By 'we' I mean whole class B address ranges at a time.