Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 21:01:30 -0600
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PONY UP! (was: The -stable problem: my view)

At 05:48 PM 6/7/96 -0700, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>In message <16972.834190075@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
>>
>>Well, then I think it's time for you ISPs to start donating more
>>resources to us.
>
>I would like to back this argument a little bit too.  Quite frankly,
>I'm proud as hell when you people brag about what you're doing with
>FreeBSD.  I'm proud as hell when I wear my FreeBSD T-shirt.
>
>I have bought more hardware of more weird sorts than anybody would
>think they would ever need, and certainly more than I'd ever buy if
>I didn't care about the quality of installation tools and methods
>for FreeBSD and other such stuff.
>
>I could have started an ISP instead, I could have made money instead.
>I know I have spent time to the tune of $100K on FreeBSD instead of
>doing paid work.  So far I have no problem with that either because,
>most of it was fun, and most of the rest of it were just plainly
>needed to get FreeBSD over a hurdle.
>
>What I'm more than a little bit disappointed with, is the number of
>quite obvious commercial entities with their relative amounts of
>success and dependencies on FreeBSD that have sent an email to
>-core saying, "Hi, we owe you people something, what can we do for
>you in return ?"
>
>If somebody were to be paid for doing FreeBSD work part-time, with the
>understanding that "it may not be fun, that's why we pay you!" we could
>get a lot of menial tasks done that simply don't get done because they're
>not any fun to do in your sparetime.  Things like regression testing,
>documentation, upgrade procedures...
>
>Another alternative is to get sufficient money that one or more of the
>really good FreeBSD people could actually sustain life doing nothing but
>FreeBSD.
>
>Both of these things would help a lot, and it goes without saying that
>any donation on that kind of scale would result in a higher level of
>awareness for the donors problems and wishes.
>
>But even if you cannot afford that kind of donations, you can still
>donate to us.  The information for donating money is on our web-pages.
>
>How about donating $25 every time you install or upgrade a machine
>with FreeBSD ?  That would still be less than half the price of any
>other thing you could install, say, MS-DOS 6.22 or Windows 95...
>
>So, guys, if FreeBSD is so useful to you and your business, maybe you
>need to think about how you can be useful to the FreeBSD project.
>
>Poul-Henning
>
>--
>Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
>http://www.freebsd.org/~phk | phk@login.dknet.dk    Private mailbox.
>whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
>Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.

I work for an small ISP here in Southern Utah that uses FreeBSD, and I like
the idea of contributing back to FreeBSD, particularly the small donation
every time one upgrades or installs FreeBSD.  I do have few questions and
ideas though.

Questions first: If someone DID want to contribute money, how would this be
done?  To what organization would the money be sent?  FreeBSD, Inc?  Is
FreeBSD Inc, a non-profit organization?

Ideas:  Why not add a web page or two on the www.freebsd.org site describing
how to contribute money, hardware, labor, etc?  The page might suggest a
tiered donation scheme (perhaps something like $25, $50, $100, $200, $500,
$1000, etc. donations per install or upgrade) where donors are listed on
appropriate web pages according to their donation level.  A $25 donor might
just get a quick 1-line listing while the $1000 GOLD LEVEL donor might have
the opportunity to place an icon, web link, and brief paragraph describing
how they use FreeBSD.  I understand that the donation scheme should probably
be kept SIMPLE so that the amount of time to administer donations doesn't
eat into the donation value.

The advantage of a suggested donation scheme would be in prompting users
(perhaps with guilt? <grin>) to participate, as well as making
administration of donations somewhat simpler.  I think that recognizing
donors on a web page might encourage donations as well.  A plus to having a
tiered donation scheme is that everyone can donate according to their ability.

Gee, this is beginning to sound almost like my local PBS station's fund
drive! <smile>

Oh well.  I was just brainstorming.

Aaron out.

Aaron D. Gifford          InfoWest, 1845 W. Sunset Blvd, St. George, UT 84770
InfoWest Networking       Phone: (801) 674-0165   FAX: (801) 673-9734
<agifford@infowest.com>   Visit InfoWest at: "http://www.infowest.com/"
                        ICBM: 37.07847 N, 113.57858 W
                 "Southern Utah's Finest Network Connection"