Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:12:02 +1300
From:      "David Preece" <dmpreece@paradise.net.nz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Cannot get dumb terminal to go.

GGNNN! Much gnashing of teeth here.

The terminal in question (actually a Psion 5 emulating a VT100) is
hooked into sio0. Changing boot.config to be '-h' sends output to the
terminal, so I know it works. I've left all the settings at 9.6kbit
(8/1/no parity) and am currently trying with "RTS/CTS" and DCD is set.

I've changed the line in /etc/ttys to be:

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on  secure

And restarted with kill -1 1. No login prompt (of course). Step one of
debugging this is of course to see if getty is running:

root       384  0.0  0.9   824  536  ??  I    12:19PM   0:00.01
/usr/libexec/getty std.9600 ttyd0

So the process is up and going, but has no controlling terminal (??,
should be d0?). Other tests: Did we get the serial right in the kernel
(dmesg | grep sio0)

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa
sio0: type 16550A

So, yes, that's there. And do we have a device node under /dev (ls -Fl
/dev/ttyd0)

crw-------  1 root  wheel   28,   0 Mar  7 05:48 /dev/ttyd0

Which all looks OK to me. So, whassup here? The only things I can
think of are:

1, The kernel is compiled with flag 0x10 on the serial port. This is
the default (i.e, like it is in GENERIC), so I don't know why it's
knocking it over.

2, My combination of RTS/CTS and DCD is all wrong. This always seemed
more or less like black magic to me anyway.

I have, of course, tried both of the above to no avail. I've also been
trying to send example data down the port with 'dmesg > /dev/ttyd0', does
this seem like a moderately good idea, or will it never work.

GGNNNN!

Dave :(