Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:52:23 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        misc@openbsd.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDs

Gustavo V G C Rios wrote:

> Hy folks!
>
> I have been playing with FreeBSD for the last 1 year and some time ago i
> decide to give openbsd a try.
>
> I have been loving Free! Now, playing with Open is no trouble.
> Some questions came up:
>
> 1) What are the advantages/disadavantages of using FreeBSD or OpenBSD?
> 2) FreeBSD has proven to be a high quality OS for stupid heavy loaded
> site (ftp.cdrom.com)!    Can OpenBSD support such a very loaded site?
>    Since i have never seen such a heavy loaded site using Open, i would
> like to know if it     (Open) can support such a load using the same
> hardware Free uses.
> 3) What are the advantage from OpenBSD over FreeBSD, and FreeBSD over
> OpenBSD!
>
> Thanks a lot for time and cooperation.
>
> PS: I am not asking which is the best OS (a kind of question that should
> never be asked).
>     I only want to know the good/bad things about both of them, since no
> OS is perfect!

Gustavo, it probably didn't occur to you that you are more qualified
than anyone to answer this question.  As you say, no OS is perfect, and
OpenBSD has a different focus than FreeBSD, even though the systems
remain similar.

I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say about the
two systems in comparison.  Reports of reliability, load handling, etc.
will be greatly appreciated.

It might even make a great article for Daemon News or SysAdmin magazine.