Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:52:49 -0500
From:      Erv Kuhnke <erv@dswahome.dswa.mil>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD & HP C1533A DAT tape

i,

I recently purchased a Hp  C1533A It is set up to interface as a scsi II
and connected to a PCI card made for NCR as a adaptec 2940 look alike..I am
running a FreeBSD Kernel and the system recognized the drive and responds
to tar and MT commands ..But When I try to back up a large file system like
/usr or /
The system works fine for awhile then stalls and a "Blank Check" error occurs
and a error message about failure to respond is reported about two or three
times.. If  you run tar -tvf /dev/rst0 against the tape the drive responds
and gives you the files up to the point the previous error occurred and
reports a unexpected EOF tape error...

I thought perhaps this might be a buffer overrun error ...I was wondering
if someone may have run into this problem... If so what would you advise
(perhaps... jumper-ing the drive as a scsi one device? Or get a faster SCSI
card) Note I am testing with both 90 meter and 120 meter tapes... error
seems to occurred about 5 min into tar....

                                                                Thanks...Erv