Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:17:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   2 panics with MP kernels

In attempting to boot a MP kernel from today's sources
(28 Sep 00, 9:30pst), I get 2 panics.  Yes, I know -current
will experience periods of instabilities, so this report
is a FYI with what info I could get.

Panic 1 is related to havig "options USER_LDT" in the
kernel config file.  Info I have so far is (transcribed by hand):

cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 0100000
fault virtual address = 0x17c
fault code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc0258196
stack pointer = 0x10:0xcb355f00
frame pointer = 0x10:0xcb355f30
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
             = DPL0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor flags = resume, IOPL=0
current process = 12 (random)
kernel: type trap 12, code = 0

CPU0 stopping CPUs: 0x00000002... stopped
Stopped at sw1b+0xc:   movl 0x17c(%ecx),%edx

db> trace
sw1b
msleep
random_kthread
fork_trampoline

I have not been able to get a crash dump.

If I remove "options USER_LDT" from the kernel config file,
I get the following panic (wrapped to fit < 80columns):

panic: mutex_enter: MTX_DEF on MTX_SPIN mutex random harvest\
@/usr/src/sys/modules/randomdev/../../dev/randomdev/yarrow.c:515
cpuid = 1; lapic.id = 00000000
Debugger("panic')

CPU1 stopping CPUs: 0x00000001 stopped
Stopped at Debugger+0x38:  movb $0,in_Debugger.684

db>trace
Debugger(c0277da1)
panic
witness_enter
_mtx_enter
random_harvest_internal
write_random
random_write
ufs_vnoperatespec
vn_write
dofilewrite
write
syscall2
Xint0x80_syscall

Again, I haven't been able to convince the system to
produce a crash dump.

--
Steve