Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:41:17 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Lost + Found

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 12:10:33PM +0200, Doron Shmaryahu wrote:

> I had a server which due to power problems rebooted a couple of times. I did
> a fsck, because it kept complaining about inconsistencies.

> Now some directories seem to have moved. I located them in lost + found. Is
> there any way to recover these files from there ??

lost+found is where fsck(8) puts files or directories it finds on the
disk but that it can't place correctly into the filesystem because of
damage to directories further up the tree.

Just mv(1) the data back to where it came from.  Unfortunately,
there's no record kept on the system of where that was, so you'll just
have to remember for yourself as well as you can.  Note that if you're
seeing stuff in lost and found, then it's quite possible that there
were other files that have disappeared completely.  You may have to
recover the partition from backup to ensure that everything is
consistent.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way