Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:04:02 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Brian Campbell <brianc@milkyway.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

On Jul 30, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> wrote:
> > Actually the 266Mhz P5/MMX has already been announced for early next year.
> > www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/pcwo/0723/pcwo0005.html
>
> Actually, these are the same people who said I could get a
> 486 DX/2-100, and thus convinced me to buy my 486 DX-50.
>        ^                                           ^
>        |                                           |
>      NOTE                                        NOTE
>
> My 486 DX-50 still beats the snot of of a P5 DX/2-66, and is
> more than fast enough (EISA bus overclocked to 50MHz) to handle
> a lot of stuff that early P5 machines couldn't.
>
> Nevertheless, I remain pissed that I can't get a 486 DX/2-100
> and leave my bus speed up at 50MHz.

The AMD 5x86-133 is designed for 4*33Mhz, but was successfully
used with 3*40MHz in many systems (and slighlty faster that way).

On the other hand, it can safely be over-clocked to 4*40MHz,
and I'm quite sure it wouldn't mind being run at 3*50MHz :)

So, if you want to give it a try ...
At 3*50 it should be about as fast as a P-100 (under FreeBSD,
with non-Pentium optimized binaries as created by the stock gcc).

Regards, STefan

PS: If you really want to overclock an AMD 5x86, try to get the
    ADZ version, which can be used with no heat sind or fan at
    133MHz ...