Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 10:41:28 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Tim Joseph <tim@weeble.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Simple SCSI/RAID on FBSD 4.x

Tim Joseph wrote:
> 1. Will software RAID 0 noticeably improve disk performance, even if all
> of the disks are connected to the same controller? Is there a tailing off
> of performance once you're past 2 or 3 disks on the same controller?

Yes, as long as you're not saturating the controller. For example, if
your controller can handle a total of 40 MB/s and each HDD can actually
transfer a sustained 40MB/s, you're not going to see much improvement in
speed with RAID (in theory)
However, if you're controller can handle 160mb/s and each drive can
transfer a sustained 40mb/s, in theory you'd benefit from 4 drives in
RAID 0 config.

> 2. Will a hardware RAID controller be worth it for just RAID 0?

Probably, with hardware RAID you often get the option of hot swap, which
is nice as well. Also, hardware RAID doesn't tie up your processor to do
it's work. With modern fast processors, that probably isn't a very big
issue, but if you want the ultimate in performance, hardware RAID is the
way to go.

> 3. Which "width" of SCSI gives the best bang for buck performance?

I don't have prices, but the best bang I've seen so far is the SCSI-160
controllers with compatable drives, these things are FAST!

> 5. Can I RAID a couple of hardrives, and have a separate CDRW/DVD unit on
> the same controller?

If you're using vinum, yes. If you've got a HW RAID controller, it will
depend on the controller model's capabilities.

> 6. Any recommendations for SCSI controllers, RAID controllers and/or SCSI
> disks?

They're a little pricy, but if you want performance, I recommend Adaptec
160 with IBM 160 drives.

-Bill