Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2007 23:36:49 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@alkar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd 4.1 on 5.5-STABLE

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Alexander Motin wrote:
 > Ian Smith wrote:
 > > mpd4 -b syslogs the intro line, then sometimes another one, maybe two:
 > >
 > > Mar  4 20:03:16 paqi mpd: process 39879 started, version 4.1 (root@paqi.nimnet.asn.au 20:51  3-Mar-2007)
 > > Mar  4 20:03:16 paqi mpd: CONSOLE: listening on 127.0.0.1 5005
 > > Mar  4 20:03:16 paqi mpd: [b_PPPoE] exec: /sbin/ifconfig xe0 up
 > >
 > > then just disappears; no (logged) message, no core.  Some other times it
 > > keeps running but responds to neither telnet nor kill, short of kill -9.
 >
 > Mpd tryes to process all possible signals to make clean shutdown.
 > Sometimes it can, but sometimes it can't. In such cases it is
 > recommended to comment out
 >    signal(SIGSEGV, SendSignal);
 >    signal(SIGBUS, SendSignal);
 >    signal(SIGABRT, SendSignal);
 > lines in main.c to let it crash and make core dump. Try to do it to get
 > core and use gdb to locate crash reason.

Ok, I did see segv mentioned once.  Sorry, I have to file this for now
and use my workaround, before building a debug kernel and learning gdb!,
having services to relocate and rebuild over the next week or so.

I'll likely have many more questions before I can make any contribution,
and I think mpd is awesome.  Blame Bruce Simpson for the good publicity!

Thanks, Ian