Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:20:05 GMT
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/125993: www/firefox3 is unusable

The following reply was made to PR ports/125993; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org, joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:14:01 -0500

 > You claim that you know about problems with firefox3. Yet, there is no
 > information anywhere on the FreeBSD website which describes the pitfals
 > and solutions required to use the product.

 Because it was discovered one or two week(s) ago. And, I knew that it will
 be fixed soon when ahze comes back and it's rare by depend on what kind of
 plugins you have. I only get two to three users report for this and I can
 reproduce their problem.

 I am reinstall firefox3 with no lib/browser_plugins patch right now. If it
 works then I shall commit it with bump and note in UPDATING about that
 users will have to add plugins in its directory by manual for a bit while.
 ahze and I will be working on revamp the plugins directory by use
 www/linux-mplayer-plugin/Makefile.npapi.

 > Therefore, I claim that since you do not provide documentation, the
 > product is BROKEN and needs to be marked as BROKEN to prevent peoplefrom
 > inadvertently doing the wrong thing.

 No need to, it does not broke by default unless you install depend on what
 kind of plugin. I only know one plugin that can cause crash, it's totem's
 web plugins so you can simple disable it in perference or deinstall it.

 > If you cannot have firefox2 and firefox3 installed on the same system,
 > please be EXPLICIT about it.

 It can be installed together. There is no problem other than minor related
 w/ user data in runtime. I don't know what exactly issue, thought, lacking
 info from Firefox's website.

 Mezz

 --
 mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org