Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:38:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   newfs and the -b/-f default values

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

Far out

This concerns both -stable and -current, I think.

The man pages for `newfs' as of a few days ago refer to default
values for the block and frag sizes that nowadays are different
from what they traditionally have been.  Woo, I said.

So a couple days ago I decided to re-newfs some of the partitions
I have, since I learned that even with background fsck'ing, an
80GB disk created with the old defaults takes a loooong time.

And as far as I could see, from the disklabel and dumpfs and
stuff, the partitions had been created with the traditional
-b 8192 -f 1024 defaults.

I did this to one partition under -current, but was surprised to
see that the number of inodes was no different than before.

Then I remembered another man page that I cannot now find, made
mention that the root partition was required to be created with
the old default values.  Hmmm, I said.  Okay...

So I just now went back into -current and used `newfs -N' with
different parameters, and as far as I could see, in fact, the
new defaults of -b 16384 -f 2048 that the man pages referred to
several times were not in effect.  So I went ahead and newfs'ed
the thing, explicitly specifying what were supposed to be the
defaults, and lo and behold, the new filesystem was in fact
different, as I wanted it to be.

I haven't done this with -stable yet.  I wonder, though, since
the warning message printed by `mount_mfs' has changed to now be
the value for the new defaults, rather than for the old defaults
it had been earlier, I suspect that in the last few days, the
defaults in -stable really do match the man pages.  Let me wipe
a partition and see...  No, again it seems to be the same, but
then why do I get the warning from mount_mfs
 Warning: Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 94.
that more matches the warning for the new default values?
 bash-2.05a# newfs -N /dev/ad0s2f
 Warning: Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group to 22.
 bash-2.05a# newfs -N -b 16384 -f 2048 /dev/ad0s2f
 Warning: Block size restricts cylinders per group to 94.

Now I'm confused.

So, is there a good reason why the -stable and -current man pages
for newfs do not seem to match the reality of what the program does?
Is the limitation of the root partition to -b 8192 -f 1024 still in effect?
(Sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm disturbed that the
man pages seem to be wrong.  Very disturbed.)

Just wondering...

thanks
barry bouwsma