Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 09:02:38 +0500
From:      "Ahsan Ali" <ahsan@khi.comsats.net.pk>
To:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Domains

I think what he means is that if he is hosting dom1.com and has a user
patrick there [patrick@dom1.com] then when he adds dom2.com as a virtual
domain, he cant add [patrick@dom2.com] because there is only one password
file and you cant add the same user to the system twice.

The way around this Patrick, with Sendmail, is to use Virtual Domains with
all their mail ending up in a single mailbox. This way, all mail for
dom2.com can go into a single box from where it can be popped and then
redistributed on another mail server. Its not a perfect solution (BCC mail
may not reach the intended BCC recepient etc) but it works for the most
part.

The way to do it is,

add  "@dom2.com        dom2"  in /etc/mail/virtusertable
then "cd /etc/mail/virtusertable; makemap hash virtusertable <
virtusertable"

also, you may need to add "dom2.com" to /etc/mail/sendmail.cw so that
sendmail knows it needs to collect mail for that domain.

Now all mail for dom2.com will go into the mailbox dom2 - you can pop this
account to get all mail for this domain. Not ideal if you want users to POP
mail for this domain from your own mailserver only.

-Ahsan