Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:03:06 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Alexandr Kovalenko" <neve_ripe@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ipfw drop syn+fin

>      # TCP_DROP_SYNFIN adds support for ignoring TCP packets with SYN+FIN.
This
>      # prevents nmap et al. from identifying the TCP/IP stack, but breaks
support
>      # for RFC1644 extensions and is not recommended for web servers.
>
>      I'm wondering _why_ it is not recommended for web servers?

I may not be 100% on this, but I'll give it a shot.

One of the "features" of TCP is to bundle multiple commands in one
transmission.

Say a web client has a few connections to a web server.  One of those
connections is retriving an image (for example).  When it's finished, it
will send a FIN to the server to close that connection.  However, at the
same time, the web client wants to open a new connection to the same
machine, which requires a SYN to be sent.  The smart TCP/IP stack on the web
client will set both the SYN and FIN bits in one packet, which means "close
this connection, and open a new one."

As you can see, not allowing this feature on a web server could result in
connections not being closed/open, and cause strange activity to occur on
the clients end and make it appear that the web server is flaky.

--
Matt Emmerton