Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:43:58 -0800
From:      JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pkg_info Ideals

> That might be useful, but for another prurpose - to have some
> wahy of doing a pkg_delete "recursively" but downwards. I.e. when I
> install package X and it depends on Y and Z it will install them. But it
> would be really nice if when I deinstall X it would deinstall Y and Z if
> nothing else depends on them. This could be done by applying the above
> to dependencies of the package and seeing if they can be deleted.

I apologize if this doesn't belong on this list...

Of all the ideas presented in this thread, this is my favorite.  Perhaps one
way of doing this is:

Add "user" as a valid value in +REQUIRED_BY.

Any time a package is removed, search through its dependencies updating
the +REQUIRED_BY files (as is done now).  Any time a packages has no
dependencies (not even user), it's safe to delete the package.  Naturally,
the various GUI's for adding packages will have to be updated so that only
requested packages have the "user" value in +REQUIRED_BY.

Eh?

-jj

--
The set-uid bit is patented by Dennis Ritchie.