Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 09:48:02 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        Brian O'Shea <boshea@ricochet.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't build Kernel...

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> > I had this problem yesterday too.  What are you updating from, and
> > what procedure did you follow to update?
>
> 4-Stable as of Thursday. After the recent commitments to 4 Stable I
> wanted to have them ASAP ;-)
>
> > and updated my sources some time yesterday morning.  To get around
> > this problem, I did a buildworld followed by an installworld (I'm
> > assuming this was needed to update the compiler, assembler and
> > friends) and then built the kernel.
>
> Hm... So you mean I should risk an installworld before I've got the
> new Kernel (I normally do the make world/make kernel stuff all
> together)? Well, I'll try that on a devbox...

We encountered this right after O'Brien finished adding his massive
/binutil changes. You can fix it one of two ways. I prefer the "make
buildkernel KERNEL=<your config file>" and then follow that with a
"make installkernel KERNEL=<your config file>".

I don't like doing a make world and that is the only other way it will
work before you try building your kernel. This way I have a good
buildworld and a good kernel before I start the installs.

I was down yesterday while my DSL line was getting fixed but I have
two systems running where I use basically the make sequence from
/usr/src/UPDATING. The thread where we got it to working is "Re: make:
don't know how to make dwarf1.c. Stop". The second system came up much
faster.

Kent

> > the wind.  Your situation may differ and you might want to follow
> > the suggestions in UPDATING more carefully than I did.
>
> Hmm. I'll try it, after all, it's a devbox and if the whole thing is
> not working, I'll wait a few days and do another cvsup (last time this did solve my
> problems ;-.)

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Web page with Hanford Wild fire photographs.
http://www.cooke.urx.com/cooke/