Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:48:22 -0600
From:      Edwin Culp <eculp@webwizard.org.mx>
To:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, jabc@webwizard.org.mx
Subject:   IBM Netfinity 3500 - Chapter 2.

I finally have the IBM Netfinity 3500 that I wrote about two weeks ago,
working well, although not the way I would have wanted.

The first thing I had to do was to disable the APM completely and the
USB (just in case).

I could not use the onboard 100/10 EtherExpress and had to physically
change the jumper on the board to disable it.

I wasn't able to use an EtherExpress Pro 100+ card at all.  It would
probe perfectly but when it came to ifconfig the machine would freeze,
no panic, just death and silence.

I was able to get one ne2000 card to work reasonably well but when I
installed the second, it would work  sometimes and then start with
"device time out".  I finally gave up on them.

As a last resort, I tried two 3com595 100/10 cards that I had left over
when I changed to the EtherExpress 100 and much to my surprise, they
work perfectly.  I have no idea why they work nor why the EtherExpress
doesn't nor why I wasn't able to get two ne2000 clones to work
together.  (Tried everything, except the right thing:-) like disabling
the on board sound card, serial ports, etc. etc.

I'm not planing on doing anything else to the machine, "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it", but I would be interested in other peoples
experiences with the IBM Netfinity 3500.  Mike Smith told me in a
previous mail that the problem with the onboard EtherExpress was a known
problem.

If anyone has better solutions and I'm sure someone must have :-),
please let me know what you did.

Thanks

ed