Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2013 21:23:22 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>, FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg_libchk (was Re: gvfs on FreeBSD 10 fails to build)

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>wrote:

> On 26/11/2013 18:15, Warren Block wrote:
> > On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> >> Possibly hijacking the thread, but isn't it time that pkg_libchk was
> >> made a
> >> part of the base system? It comes up over and over as a tool to simplify
> >> dealing with dealing with shareable library version bumps and even more
> >> important for dealing with the problem seen here. It's a fairly simple,
> >> well written, maintainable shell script, so will run with no
> >> dependencies.
> >> I can't think of any reason not to include it in the base system.
> >>
> >> Checking for issues with shareable libraries is an obvious requirement
> >> for
> >> maintaining a system and doing so without a tool like pkg_libchk is
> >> unnecessarily tedious and painful.
> >
> > Maybe integrating it with pkg rather than the base system.  At least for
> > me, it's not a problem with the base.
>
> pkg(8) already has a lot of shlib analysis built in.  So, for instance
> to find all the pkg with binaries that link against libiconv:
>
>    % pkg shlib -P libiconv.so.3
>
> Hmmm... although it seems the -P and -R flags have gotten swapped over
> somehow.
>
>         Matthew

Yes, this is a start, but it would be quite difficult to confirm that every
package installed has no missing libraries. This is a somewhat different
problem. If pkg can be modified to do this, great, but pkg_libchk works
with both old and new packaging systems today.

I do feel that if similar capability can be added to pkg, that would be
better as removing something from base is a real pain.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com