Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 16:31:54 -0700
From:      rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
To:        "chat@freebsd.org" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: My friends were amazed at FreeBSD...

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > By the way, being a admirerer of FreeBSD i got  a following question, is
> > there any good browser for FreeBSD which doest expect system to have Linux
> > emu? Netscape, Mozilla, Opera the all need that emu?
>
> Mozilla works fine natively, except the plugins.  There is now a
> native java plugin but not in binary form, you need 700 MB disk space
> and a few hours to compile it.  I haven't tried it.  There is also the
> GPL flash plugin in the ports, and for other plugins there's
> ports/www/plugger, neither of which I've tried either.  Personally I
> see nothing wrong in using linux emulation.  In fact I have linux as
> dual-boot on that machine, so I just mount the linux partition as
> /compat/linux, make a few symlinks for mozilla and away I go (but
> mostly I use konqueror natively under FreeBSD, I don't need plugins).
> I totally abandoned netscape 4.x around 6 months ago; I'd mostly
> abandoned it over a year ago.
>
> > > But they were all blown away by how fast Netscape on FreeBSD worked.  My
> > > machine blew away a P3-500 running Windows.  I'm sure having 160 megs of
> > > RAM didn't hurt,
>
> That could be the major factor, actually.  A machine with only 16 MB
> of RAM will crawl with most of today's software and desktop
> environments, and with Windows too, no matter how fast the CPU is.
> Also, a browser is hardly a test of speed.  I've used netscape 4.x on
> a 486 with linux, it's not too bad.
>
> - Rahul

I really like Galeon, but it doesn't have mail or news.  What impresses
me the most about FreeBSD are the people involved.  I've been trying out
some Linux distos but I always get turned off by the mailing lists.
That was not true 5 years ago when I was running SuSE.
Now, I've gotten a "haircut" on the OpenBSD list from Theo, but for good
reasons :)   I just find the Linux lists arrogant.  Rob.