Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 09:51:41 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which release of 4.1 supports i810 with XFree86 4.0.1?

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:33:05PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Alan Bindemann wrote:
>
> > >From: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
> > >Don't expect to get lots of help for this; XFree86 4 is very, very beta
> > >and has lots of nasty bugs. [snip]
> > >
> > >I suggest using 3.3.6 for production use.
> >
> > I was under the impression that the i810 chipset was not supported under
> > 3.3.6.  Am I mistaken?  If so, do I need to rebuild 3.3.6 with some patches
> > for i810 support?
>
> I stay away from such broken hardware.
>
> As X 4 is beta, don't expect any help from this list for it.

Perhaps X 4 is beta, but X 3 does not work or work poorly on some video cards
which are amongst the best on the market (GeForce). So a shift to 4.01 will
soon to be considered. Do you think people will only buy Matrox G 400 because
it is very well supported by X 3?

To speak for my case, i have received mail that GeForce works with X 3 but my
own works very poorly, if at all. I am obliged to go to 4.01 and install
nVidia drivers under Linux. Corresponding drivers for freebsd are said to be
in preparation.

--
Michel Talon