Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:28:42 -0500
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        Peter Hoskin <peterh@ripewithdecay.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rate-limiting uptime went backwards?

On Saturday, Nov 2, 2002, at 00:37 US/Eastern, Peter Hoskin wrote:

> Those messages are usually due to a faulty system clock. Generally,
> when
> you generate a bit of load these messages will appear. The reason why
> they
> aren't rate limited is they are an important kernel message.

Thanks for the explanation.

What I do not understand still is how DoSing my machine with these
messages is going to be beneficial. It is bad enough that my clock is
not operating correctly so I can do without kernel log messages
grinding the machine to a halt.

My question stands: how is a message once a second going to be less
noticeable than a thousand per second?

-J

> Regards,
> Peter Hoskin
>
> On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any specific reason why the "microuptime went backwards"
>> message is not rate-limited? These messages are rather easy to provoke
>> by the local user tinkering with something as mundane as Java and
>> constitute a nice local DoS attack.
>>
>> -J
>> --
>> Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org - +1 242 357 5115
>> Incentive Incompatibility

Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org - +1 242 357 5115

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
nothing."
-- Edmund Burke