Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:43:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        jabley@clear.co.nz, jal@ThirdAge.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, dennis.moore@mail.house.gov, tlambert@primenet.com
Subject:   Re: Forward all spam to UCE@FTC.GOV [please take to -chat]

> > 3. Implement a technical solution based on end-to-end signatures and/or
> > cryptography, so that unsolicited mail will never be accepted. This would
> > effectively make spam pointless, since the target audience is removed.
>
> terry used this argument.
>
> such a solution would require standardization, many years to
> implement, as well as the finding unconstitutional of our current law
> based on property rights issues.  to do this before such a ruling
> would result in massive restraint of trade lawsuits that could only be
> defended by using the private property case and making the current law
> unconstitutional.
>
> how long will it be before a way is found around this solution by
> spammers?  once they do that, we are back where we started.  they have
> found ways around everything else we can throw at them.
>
> i also believe that implementation on a national scale would also be
> more expensive than a legal solution with adequate enforcement methods
> and budgets.  it would be totally ineffective to do this unless it was
> mandated by law, see my argument concerning why we have the current
> problems because of "voluntary self-regulation" and the lack of anyone
> volunteering to do it effectively.

Actually, all this would require is that participants either expect
a signature by the signature authority on the connection, or that
participants contact the authority to ash whether it would sign if
it were asked to sign.

This means that it is implementable as a phased approach to the
problm, unlike other past approaches.

In general, if I'm asked for a soloution to a problem, I take into
account the games theoretic consequences of soloutions.  This
particular soloution only requires incremental participation.  In
addition, if people actually *want* SPAM, then they can either disable
the certification, or they can respect a signature autority other than
the default authority that implements whatever editorial policy they
want to respect.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---