Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:56:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, npe@bfc.dk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel configurator

> > Unless I'm mistaken, don't the options USERCONFIG, and its visual
> > counterpart already implement a "Kernel Configurator??" It's my
> > understanding that they do.
>
> Yes, and no.  It allows one to configure a pre-made kernel, what the
> original post was most likely talking about was something used to
> determine what devices go into the kernel to begin w/.

That's what I thought, I just wasn't sure. It was my impression however
that UNIX wasn't supposed to be that simple. It was supposed to be more
stable. besides, unless the people know what they are doing when they look
at the configurator program (similar to some Linux dists) they may be even
more confused, and it's not that hard to make a custom kernel in the first
place. I personally don't think we need a kernel configurator.

Kenneth Culver