Date:      Fri, 17 May 2019 14:01:52 +0000
From:      Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OT: android phone backup NOT to google cloud question

On Fri, 17 May 2019 09:15:20 -0400, James B. Byrne via
freebsd-questions stated:

>On Thu, May 16, 2019 12:37, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>>
>> Speaking for Motorola (bought out by Lenovo not long ago if I'm not
>> mistaken): nope. Other vendors: say, my old (~ 5 years maybe) Samsung
>> Galaxy note 3 I got through AT&T - there was tool to make local own
>> backup (can not vouch for full restore like iTunes allows for
>> iDevices), but it's been too long since.
>>
>> My general impression is things got worse, i.e. google cloud,
>> or maybe some vendors will offer their cloud instead of google.
>> On the other hand the company invested so much of money
>> (I'm staying from guessing about source of it) into data mining
>> does want data trickle to them, even if you get your data
>> back ultimately. I mean as investment, making android system,
>> and keeping developing it, and supporting huge variety of
>> hardware. Cost is enormous, there should be even bigger return
>> on investment. So as return my suspicious mind would call
>> the data android system allows its creator to receive.
>> =20
>. . .
>>
>> Valeri
>> =20
>>> Since Android isn't real-time audio capable I'm using iPads.
>>> Each time a Windows release does reach end of life, there's the need
>>> to set up a new virtual machine with a new Windows guest, to get the
>>> required iTunes releases running. It's quite annoying, but at least
>>> an iOS device user isn't forced to use iCloud for a backup.
>>> _______________________________________________ =20
>
>Recommended reading:
>
>__The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at
>the New Frontier of Power__, Zuboff, Shoshana ,PublicAffairs, New
>York, 2019.  ISBN-13: 978-1610395694
>
>P.S.
>
>For IOS users check your devices' Analytics Settings and view its
>history. Then research how to purge it.  Some of you may find this
>interesting, others disturbing.

However, the rest of us who do not go about with tin foil covering our
heads, will go on with our lives content that our phones are not filled
with child pornography or covert plans to overthrow the government.

--=20
Carmel