Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:57:48 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dashadow@tchnet.tchnet.com (DaShadow)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with silo overflows

DaShadow stands accused of saying:
> tchnet /kernel: sio##: ## more silo overflows (total ##)
>
> It seems to happen when users are running at 115200, and we tend to get
> them 95 or so at a time.  If it gets high enough, we crash.  This has
> forced us into rebooting the machine for a temp fix.  We are running a
> Boca Board with 16 modems, and I have double checked the config files 100
> times to make sure those are not the problems.  We have even increased
> the SERI_BUFSIZE to a higher number.  (It seemed to make them less
> common, but they still occur.)

What other hardware do you have in the system?  Is this a server, or
just a terminal mux?

The basic problem is that you're not servicing the serial interrupts
quickly enough.  This may be because you're doing other things that
take lots of time and can't be interrupted (swapping on IDE disks is
a prime cause of this).  It may also just be that you're loading the
machine too hard; a 16-port BOCA card can generate more traffic than
the ISA bus can handle if you're running ports at 115200.

(Bruce, I'm basing this on recollection of your comments about being
 able to run ~10 ports at 115200 on the sio driver)