Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:38:58 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
Subject:   Re: Dangerously Dedicated

> So we're going to be stuck with MS style partitions on machines that only run
> FreeBSD? I don't like this idea.

Please don't resuscitate this argument *again*.  They're not "MS-style
partitions"; the MBR slice table is mandated by the PC platform
specification and there's simply nothing you can do about that.

You might as well bitch that we call the "MS-style BIOS", or use
"MS-style ACPI information", or "read the MS-style SMAP memory layout
data" or "run on the MS-style x86 processors".

This is how the platform works.  Deal with it.