Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:33:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        locke@mcs.net (Peter Johnson)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/17965: vr (MII-bus version in 4.0 ONLY) driver

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Peter Johnson
had to walk into mine and say:

> No, unfortunately, it didn't help.
>
> My test has been to download and then subsequently upload a 62 MB file
> using FTP from my FreeBSD server to my workstation, plugged into the same
> switch.  With the non-MII-bus drivers this transfer completes with no
> problem.  Even with the patch, the download locked up the link after about
> 40 meg had been transferred; it came back and finished after about 20 secs,
> and the "watchdog timeout" message appeared in the system log.

Hm. I'm running out of ideas. I still think it could be the polling,
but I'm not certain how to test this theory. One way to do it would be
to comment out all of the contents of the vr_tick() routine, and then
manually set the media with ifconfig. If the problem persists after
you do that, then it has to be something else, which would really tick
me off since I have no idea what it could be. Of course if it turns
out it is the polling, then I'll still be mad since I'm not sure how
to fix it.

Anyway, if you can try that, I would appreciate it. I'll have to see
if I can think up a better way to debug this.

-Bill