Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:52:57 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: rendered copies of RelnotesNG in the tree (was: RELNOTESng problems)

--==_Exmh_-797999564P

If memory serves me right, "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" wrote:

> > How does the Web-available versions differ from putting the TXT
> > rendering in the repository?
>

> Not much. But one might like to consider the idea of having the TXT
> files *implicitly* available along the source code (bundled), instead of
> as a "foreign" reference on a website. I can see many situations where
> one could not have access to the web but only acces to the local machine
> which contains the source code.

I'm trying to picture someone tracking -STABLE (for instance) but not
being able to pull down a Web page...CTM users are the only group of
people who come to mind, potentially.

> Another thing which crosses my mind: when someone installs a RELEASE,
> the relnotes TXT/rendered versions come with it and are installed as
> part of the install process, right?

No, actually I don't think the release documentation gets installed...it
stays on the install media.  Someone correct me if this is wrong...I
confess that I haven't done a sysinstall for about a year. cvsup/make
world doesn't touch these either (I know that for sure).

> > The Web versions will (once the Web
> > Gods make a couple of commits) get built as frequently as the Web site
> > is.
>

> That's about once a day, if I'm not mistaken?

I *think* it's twice a day for the main server; don't know about the
mirrors.

> How technically feasable would it be to have the TXT files rebuilt on
> the fly, after a commit on the related .sgml file?

I don't know of any easy way to do this.  The problem is that the *.TXT
rebuild requires running a process (OK, a bunch of processes) that may
or not produce successful output.  It's a lot for the CVS server to
have to handle, and we can't very well require this on the CVS clients.

You didn't suggest this, but in case someone *else* thinks of it, no,
we'll never have a policy of requiring manual commits of *.TXT
renderings.

> > In the meantime, you can look at the version on my Web page.  They're
> > updated pretty often, on an unofficial basis.
>

> Assuming I have access to the web. :) That is of course considered
> irrelevent nowadays, but I find that still a considerable requisite to
> have access to notes so tightly integrated (or relevant? I miss the
> proper word) to the source... These things should all be bundled together.

I think "integrated" is the word you mean.

If I only had intermittent net access, and I couldn't build the release
documentation locally, I'd do a fetch on the Web site at the same time
as a cvsup of my sources.  Probably done with a script.  Not the most
well-coupled solution, I realize:

	#! /bin/sh
	cvsup -g -L2 path/to/my/supfile
	fetch http://www.freebsd.org/path/to/relnotes.txt
	fetch http://www.freebsd.org/path/to/hardware.txt
	fetch http://www.freebsd.org/path/to/install.txt
	fetch http://www.freebsd.org/path/to/readme.txt
	fetch http://www.freebsd.org/path/to/errata.txt

> Actually, the release notes are *implicitly* out of date, since we have
> no formal/automated system of updating the relnotes when a major change
> is made. AFAIK, there is someone (you, Bruce?:) that updates them by
> watching cvs-all, but that is also an out of date process.
>
> OTOH, putting the TXT files in the repository would also add to the delay.

It's usually me who writes these things.  It'd be nice if more
developers wrote their own release notes though.  gshapiro is actually
really good about doing release note commits at the same time as his
source commits.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-797999564P