Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:08:08 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jack Winslade <jsw@cywub.sitel.net>
To:        fabry@panam.edu (Alain G. Fabry)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's in /var/spool/mqueue

> What's in the /var/spool/mqueue directory?
> There are two files that are taking up lots of space. Can I delete these
> files?
> Files are called dfVAA02038, etc

Those are the queued mail messages, pending delivery to other systems.

Do a 'mailq' command to see what's in queue and why.

The d* files are the data, actual message text, and the q* files are the
queue files.  cat or more the q* file and you can see the header info as
well as the current status.

Yes, you can remove them if you don't want the mail to be delivered.

Also look at /var/log/maillog*

Good day       JSW