Date:      17 Mar 1996 10:57:19 -0500
From:      robert@elastica.com (Robert Nicholson)
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@netvoyage.net>
Subject:   Re: Computer purchase for FreeBSD

<bkogawa@netvoyage.net> writes:

>I'm looking to get a system to run FreeBSD (and Windows95, probably)
>on.  I'm willing to put a fair amount of money into it (this is the
>first new computer I've bought in about 5 years), and I'm looking for
>some recommendations.  I am planning on running X and probably
>2.1-stable (although I would prefer to do a CD install instead of a
>net-install of FreeBSD).  I'd appreciate any comments you would like
>to make on the component choices I'm proposing.  Since I'm asking many
>questions, feel free to skip over as many as you want.

>You are welcome to direct a copy of comments to me as well as to the
>list; I'm subscribed to the list, but on another account (so I'll see
>them later rather than sooner).

Here is the spec I've got that I'm happy with....

P133

ASUS TP4XEG with 512K pipe cache 32 EDO

DTC (that's DTC) 3130B NCR scsi ii based controller

Quantum Atlas 4GIG

SB16

Matrox Millenium 4MB (This will require Accelerated X to work)

HP 1533A DDS2 DAT drive

Toshiba 3701B 6.7 CD-ROM drive

Cogent C960 ethernet card.

Nanao T2-17 (sony tube) color monitor. (IMHO The best 17inch on the planet)

This all works happily with freebsd and there's a boot kernel on the
CD to get this load up and running for an install.

--
                  "Under the circumstances I will sit down."
            (PGP key: send email with Subject: request pgp key)