Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:31:24 +0200
From:      Brent Clark <brentgclarklist@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling everything myself?

> I have been using Debian for some years and have gotten tired by
> system freezes, having a slow system, and having a package system that
> requires that I install every skin of KDE to get KDE up and running.
>
> I hope FreeBSD will be better! :-)

Hiya

Im all for one compiling software for ones self, BUT the fact that you
mention system freezes and a slow system is very suspect.

Its in your best interest to get a live cd and run memcheck and more
importantly check your hardware.

Also have you check your machine, by using system tools such as

top, netstat, vmstat, iostat, lsof etc, basically to check what your
machine is doing and whats it up too.

HTH

Regards
Brent Clark