Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2016 15:47:06 -0800
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <arch@FreeBSD.org>, <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Build -j target tags and command output

Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Yes, though I would still suggest disabling .MAKE.MODE.PREFIX in that
> mode since it is not needed when a meta file is created due to the full
> path to object.  Though we would need to resolve the non-meta targets
> not printing the 'Building' line somehow.
>
> Perhaps a way to make .MAKE.JOB.PREFIX fully changeable (not forcing the
> --- on the end) and supporting ${.TARGET} like .MAKE.META.PREFIX and
> then only showing it when not creating a meta file when in meta mode.

That already happens when .MAKE.MODE includes "meta" and "silent=yes"

Frankly I would prefer to *not* make the non-meta targets look exactly
like meta targets in the log - since then people will waste time looking
for and filing bug reports about missing .meta files.

The difference does not need to be significant - just distinguishable.

> I thought I asked you this before but I couldn't find the mail.  Just
> having a '.JOBSILENT' on a target would be nice to hide subdir printing
> but not hide the command output (requiring .SILENT on clean: obj:, etc),
> and then also allowing ${.TARGET} to work in .MAKE.JOB.PREFIX so that we
> can get something like the following, where the job is only the final
> one and not any of the subdir ones.
>
> --- /usr/obj/root/git/freebsd/amd64.amd64/bin/sh (clean) ---
> rm -f *.o

My solution to that is to eliminate the recursion ;-)
But I'll give the above some thought.