Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2007 13:27:36 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Various problems with re(4) on a PCIe 8168/8111B onboard NIC

On Sunday 29 July 2007, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> After recently updating the windows drivers (I dual-boot Windows XP
> on the machine the NIC is in), I hit this problem:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_RTL8168#Troubleshooting which affects
> re(4) like it does the Linux drivers described in the above link.
>
> I already wrote the Realtek technical support about it since their
> "own" FreeBSD driver (a hacked rl(4) that does not support any of the
> chip's advanced features) does not manage to power up the PHY on its
> own either - neither does the motherboard's BIOS when trying to
> netboot.
>
> The other problem is that I have at least two applications
> misbehaving when rxcsum/txcsum is enabled:
>
> - The Linux Second Life client (yes, yes, I know, but it is nice for
> showing off GLX and it is really really good at generating network
> traffic) will cease to receive data after about a minute or so -
> turning off rcxsum/txcsum will mend it on the spot.
>
> - A Fedora Core 4 running in Qemu, networked with bridge(4) and
> tap(4), cannot receive an ip address via DHCP. Interestingly, this
> even occurs if rxcsum/txcsum was already turned off before launching
> Qemu - to make it work, I have to cycle rxcsum/txcsum once. Might be
> related to promiscuous mode.
>
> I realise that both of these make awful test cases, but so far they
> are the only applications I found to expose those problems.
>
> This is on FreeBSD kiste 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #4: Sat Jul 28
> 14:11:23 CEST 2007     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KISTE-SMP  i386.
> The kernel sources are up to date as of 2007-07-27.
>
> The NIC is re0: <RealTek 8168/8111B PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port
> 0xd800-0xd8ff mem 0xfbfff000-0xfbffffff irq 36 at device 0.0 on pci3
> / re0@pci3:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x81681849 chip=0x816810ec
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00.

Have you looked at /var/log/messages? I would be surprised if you have
not had a number of

Jul 27 00:55:32 ruby kernel: re0: watchdog timeout
Jul 27 00:55:32 ruby kernel: re0: link state changed to DOWN
Jul 27 00:55:35 ruby kernel: re0: link state changed to UP

People have complained a long time ago and basically given up on getting
it fixed.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart