Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 20:43:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      dima@unixfreak.org (Dima Dorfman)
To:        dtalk@prairienet.org (David Talkington)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial console

David Talkington wrote:
> I managed to get boot messages displayed to the serial console, but
> then the login prompt goes to the internal console.  No opportunity is
> given for login to the serial console except during the boot process.

Is ttyd0 marked 'off' in /etc/ttys?  It is by default.  If it is,
change 'off' to 'on' to make it look like this:

  ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   cons25  on  secure

(yes, I changed dialup->cons25, you don't have to if you don't want
to)

Note that this won't stop a login prompt from showing up on the
internal console.  You can have both.  If you don't want it, mark
v0-v7 'off' in /etc/ttys.

Once you're done with your modifications to /etc/ttys, either reboot
or send sighup to init (`kill -1 1`).

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing..

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>