Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:26:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cool Web page interface to mail + search engine?

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Well, I guess you never heard of a controlled discussion forum
> before . I guess it most be a toooo simple idea. You see there are
> classes of projects in which there is a strong desire to provide
> a control forum . For instance, the current Bt848 video capture
> project in the multimedia mailing is just a *simple* example.
> For those kinds of project oriented processes it is desired to
> have a structured / controlled environment.

And I guess you never read the messages earlier in this discussion or the
subject header regarding a better interface and search mechanism for the
mailing list archive, not about turning the lists into a moderated
discussion group.

> If we can provide adequate presentation from enough controlled environments
> then maybe we got a chance at controlling the wild growth in the
> mailing list.

I, for one, like the open, freeform style of the lists as they are now.
This opens access to the lists up to anyone interested. I think it also
speeds up access to information and responses to questions.

> For the record , I do like Terry. In this case , I do think that he
> can come up with a clever solution to the problem and not just sit on the
> problem.
> > Terry has made a valid point that you have not addressed. I think that
> > your personal feelings toward Terry are clouding your thoughts.
> >
> How can you say that he has a valid point ? Lets just assume that
> someone comes up with a different protocol to distribute the information?
>
> Remember we are trying to architect the discussion forums.

No, you are. The gist of the discussion has concerned an improved
interface and search mechanism.

> 	See Ya,
> 	Amancio

Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House - anonymous