Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 12:20:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, rv@groa.uct.ac.za, erich@uruk.org
Subject:   Re: SMP on Intel MG15

> Russel and I are trying to get FreeBSD SMP working on the Intel XXPRESS
> board.  We are past hte 2nd CPU ID = 2 problem.  It appears that
> the apic_startup routine never (correctly) launches the 2nd CPU.  looking
> at the MP spec and Intel pent. manuals it appears that the INIT/Reset
> IPI expects that a "warm start vector" will exist for starting the
> 2nd CPU, but the current code seems to ignore this. See MP spec B.4.1
> for details.
>
> Is the purpose of this INIT/Reset IPI just to get the 2nd CPU to a known
> state, ie NOT to actually start it processing the bootMP code?
>
> Should not the code setup the BIOS warmstart vector to point @
> a "HLT" instruction b4 using the INIT IPI?

B.4.1 specifically applies only to the 82489DX APIC.  Is this a 486
MP box you are trying to get running?

I think it's more likely that the problem is the system default state
doesn't match one of the allowable configurations, and is maybe using
a defaul configuration that we aren't handling properly.  See chapter
5 of the spec, "Default Configurations".

I think it's unlikely that the B.4.1 startup is your problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.