Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 19:38:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andre LeClaire <leclaire@venus.net>
To:        Barry Soben <bsoben@gauss.elee.calpoly.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: root problem

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Barry Soben wrote:

> I changed the shell on my root account from csh to tcsh..  When I try to
> login as root, I can't because it says it can't find /bin/tcsh.  IS there
> any way to fix this without reinstalling the system?
>
> Also, I thought, perhaps tcsh didn't get installed..  I used my boot floppy
> to get into sysinstall but when I tried to reinstall tcsh, (selected package
> and said extract it), the computer reboots itself!

I recently did almost the same thing myself (with bash), and luckily I had
saved and printed a message on this list from Greg Lehey , which bailed me
out. This is it in a nutshell:
1)  Reboot
2)  At the Boot: prompt enter -s
3)  This puts you in single-user mode. Press enter to start sh
4)  fsck -y /dev/rdw0a
5)  mount -u /
6)  mount /usr
7)  mount /var (else you'll get error message from vi)
8)  vipw (uses vi commands)
9)  change root's shell to sh
10)  :wq
11) exit

Now you're back where you started, and can change your shell to whatever
you want. Before you logout, check it by logging in as root in another
virtual window.

BTW, thanks Greg!

Andre