Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:01:58 +0300
From:      Andrey Chernov <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nork@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        yazzy@yazzy.org, kde@FreeBSD.ORG, ozawa@ongs.co.jp, hq@FreeBSD.ORG, ronald@cs.vu.nl, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, bsam@ipt.ru, kirk@strauser.com, bzeeb+freebsdports@zabbadoz.net, tobez@FreeBSD.ORG, gnome@FreeBSD.ORG, bms@FreeBSD.ORG, osa@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@troback.com, shelton@granch.ru, green@FreeBSD.ORG, lev@FreeBSD.ORG, ahze@FreeBSD.ORG, nobutaka@FreeBSD.ORG, ale@FreeBSD.ORG, clement@FreeBSD.ORG, shoesoft@gmx.net, seanc@FreeBSD.ORG, lawrance@FreeBSD.ORG, simond@irrelevant.org, swhetzel@gmail.com, mezz@FreeBSD.ORG, 3d@FreeBSD.ORG, c47g@gmx.at, ehaupt@FreeBSD.ORG, mharo@FreeBSD.ORG, acardenas@bsd.org.pe, jonas@schiebtsich.net, weaseal@users.sourceforge.net, skv@FreeBSD.ORG, kwm@FreeBSD.ORG, jura@netams.com, sem@FreeBSD.ORG, novel@FreeBSD.ORG, vsevolod@FreeBSD.ORG, danny@ricin.com, phantom@FreeBSD.ORG, shetuhin@corp.mail.ru, girgen@FreeBSD.ORG, gerald@FreeBSD.ORG, roam@FreeBSD.ORG, taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp, alecn2002@yandex.ru, vivek@khera.org, joerg@FreeBSD.ORG, neal@nelson.name, mva@sysfault.org, garga@FreeBSD.ORG, anrays@gmail.com, barner@FreeBSD.ORG, mnag@FreeBSD.ORG, riggs@rrr.de, glewis@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd@jdc.parodius.com
Subject:   Re: Integrated DEBUG related macros to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG

On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 09:38:42AM +0900, Norikatsu Shigemura wrote:
> Hi ports maintainers!
>
> 	I consider that DEBUG related knob should be integrated
> 	to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG.  So I want to add DEBUG to
> 	/usr/ports/KNOBS.  But following ports should be modified.
> 	How about do you think?
>
> 	ok: using WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG
> 	ok? using *_DEBUG_* knobs.  But I think that these should not
> 	    be replaced to WITH_DEBUG.  Semantics different.
> 	ng: using *DEBUG* knobs.  I think that these should be replaced
> 	    to WITH_DEBUG/WITHOUT_DEBUG.

*DEBUG knob has different meaning from port to port and often not just -g
adding, but turns on internal port debugging output/checks.

It means that it should be turned on/off separately on per port basis.
I.e. WITH_<portname>_DEBUG.

WITH_<portname>_* style options also allows to add them all into
/etc/make.conf without creating name conflicts between the ports.