Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:58:03 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Current & Etherboot"

> Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
> > Most people I know of that netboot boxes on Intel platforms now use
> > PXE.
>
> But well, there are only two NICs that support PXE, aren't there?  In
> particular, there's nothing cheap (i. e. <= USD 10) you could use in
> conjunction with an old junk ISA NIC people often have in their
> bit-bucket (i. e. with an NE2k clone or 3C509).

You can't put an ISA NIC into a modern computer.

But you can get PXE bootroms for most NICs, including those ISA fossils,
from Bootix.

And since the specification is open, you could always simply fix
etherboot to provide the PXE interface and then you'd be back in business.

--
Go where you may, search where you will, roam throughout all the
monarchies and despotisms of the Old World, travel through South