Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:57:21 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2 SHOWSTOPPER - em completely unusable on 6.2

--82evfD9Ogz2JrdWZ

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:50:55AM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > Disk activity does not trigger the problem, I hammered the disk with=20
> > around 85 MB/s (dd) for about half an hour without seeing any effect. A=
=20
> > CPU bound thing like a buildworld triggered the problem.
>=20
> I'm not sure that's a valid test by it self.  As things go, dd is pretty
> easy on the disk IO system especially with large buffer sizes.  I'd
> suggest tar extraction or possible parallel tar extraction.  The goal is
> to generate a large number of transations not large transactions.

The dd generated (accordings to gstat) around 600 tps by itself. Anyway,
at night, when the to-disk-backups from the other machines are coming
in, there are variuos large and small disk operations - and it never
happens in that case. On the other hand my other server, which does only=20
few things on the disk, but has fewer CPU power and more CPU bound=20
actions to do shows the behaviour very often (until I started to use=20
polling). Disk activity might be a reason if the interrupt is shared=20
with a disk controller, which is not the case for any of my affected=20
machines.

- Oliver

--=20
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
|               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

--82evfD9Ogz2JrdWZ

--82evfD9Ogz2JrdWZ--