Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:45:00 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mestery@winternet.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with my Wincast, fxtv

Hi,

> > Hmmm.  If this is true, and it's intended *solely* as a QnD,
> > then why net let him have his own isa_dmastatus()?  It doesn't
> > hurt anything, and it's not something that will live on in
> > infamy.
>  - Idealogically : there should not be a need for a private function
>    that screws with the DMA hardware.  If the current feature set is
>    time as "the" sound driver.  As such, we're going to be looking at a
>    legacy condition sometime down the track where it is expected that the
>    sound driver be allowed to frotz with the DMA hardware, and that is

I really don't want to get into this debate, but I think its important that
people realize that the days of different pieces of code accessing common
hardware are over.  As SMP is brought into more and more of the kernel this
becomes unacceptable.  Areas such as the DMA hardware will have to be
encapsolated into "critical regions".  No one will be allowed to have private
code to access these sorts of things, not even for short testing periods.

A rather large part of my work in the coming days will involve finding
such areas and eliminating them, please don't create any more!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by