Date:      Sat, 01 Dec 2001 00:35:43 -0500
From:      "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Issues with /stand & sysinstall

Upgraded a system by adding a second drive, mounting it as /u,
running /stand/sysinstall and editting the options to change root
to /u.  Did a minimal installation.  Everything worked OK except
that /stand did not get created.

As I needed to upgrade to RELENG anyway, I NFS mounted /usr/src &
/usr/obj, went to /usr/src/release/sysinstall and did a
   make all
   make install
which built and installed /stand/sysinstall.  That is the ONLY file in /stand,
none of the other links, etc exist.

I manually linked sysinstall to a few command names - all of them fail.
sysinstall seems to work OK, although I did not do extensive tests.  The
size seems VERY small:
   # ls -l /stand/sysinstall
   -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  820468 Dec  1 00:18 /stand/sysinstall

Digging around in the source code I do not see any code to deal with being
called as an alternate name.  Nor do I see code in the Makefile to create
the other commands.  I certainly could go to another machine and
simply grab a copy of /stand but this SHOULD work, shouldn't it?

/\/\ \/\/